After seeing this beautiful wreath on Pintrest (by Itz Fitz), I just KNEW I had to make one for my new apartment. We live on one of the top floors of our building and every. door. is. the. same. No color, no personality, just plain purple doors.
I haven’t crafted anything lately and my hands were-a’ itchin’. It’s (almost) fall so what better way to welcome in the season that with a fall-themed wreath.
A (not-so-quick) trip to Pat Catan’s and I came home with the supplies for my wreath:
- 12″ foam wreath form
- Two little bunches of fake flowers – orange and yellow
- One bunch of brown bally things
- About 2 dozen Straight Pins
- One skein of brown yarn (I used 100% wool Vickie Howell Yarn because it was kinda fuzzy and I liked the fuzz)
I didn’t take a lot of pictures of the process, but it’s pretty self explanatory. Simple instructions follow.
Wreath How-to Directions
1. Pin the end of you yarn to your wreath then begin to wrap yarn over the tail to hide it. (Tip: I found by making a small knot then sticking a pin through the knot made the yarn stay on the wreath better than just sticking a pin through a normal piece.)
2. Continue winding around the wreath until your entire wreath is covered. I found it easiest to wind the yarn around about 10 times then push the yarn down with my hands to keep it nice and tight.
3. Once your wreath is covered, you can decide what you’d like to put on it. I got fake flowers and pulled the green plastic stuff off them and just stuck them on with my straight pins. I even added in some brown bally-things which I think look nice. Again, just break apart and pin those babies down.
Continue adding things to the side of your wreath until it’s exactly what you want.
And there you have it! Your very own autumn/ fall wreath. I really enjoyed making this wreath. I fulfilled my crafty need AND have a beautiful fall wreath for my apartment door. I hope it brings some cheer to the people passing outside our door. Win-win-win.
DebbiHSeptember 12, 2011
Your wreath looks great! My mom will love it if I make her one of these for her samey-samey apartment door. Thanks for the idea. It’s not often that I see PAT CATAN’S listed as the craft shop of choice in the many blogs I follow. You’re either in Browns or Steelers country!?
JJCrochetSeptember 12, 2011
You’re welcome – hope it provided some inspiration! I’m sure your mom would love a wreath. And I know – Pat Catans – never my first choice of craft supplies, ha but I was super impressed with this one. It’s funny that you mentioned those locations because I actually moved from Steelers Country to Browns country! But yes, I was just as surprised as you were that I was shopping there. I’m finding Pat Catan’s is the preferred craft store in these parts so I might have to get used to that, although I’ll always be partial to Jo-Ann’s. Good luck with making a wreath!