I’ve been crocheting and knitting so many hats it was hard to find pom-poms to top them all. I figured there HAD to be an easy and cheap way to make them myself. (Especially since each pre-made pom I was buying was close to $4!)
After reading a few blogs and trying different methods (circle vs. square), I found the best way to make faux fur pom-poms. 3 yards of faux fur later and it’s pom EVERYTHING.
Watch this one minute video to learn how to make a faux-fur pom yourself!
- 6.5 inches faux fur (I purchased mine from JoAnn Fabric)
- Polyfill (small handful)
- Yarn (15 inches)
- Big needle
How to Make a Faux Fur Pom-Pom:
- Cut 6.5 inch circle from faux fur. (Tip: Cutting is easiest fur-side down. Pull ends gently to remove extra “fluff”.)
- Thread 15 inches yarn onto large needle.
- Sew big, 1 inch stitches around circle.
- Pull ends to form dome.
- Fill with polyfill. Pull ends of yarn as tight as you can.
- Close circle by sewing “X” across opening.
- Tie a tight knot.