My last post was about making last-minute Christmas presents. How embarrassing! What’s even more dismal is that I’ve not had much time to crochet in the past weeks. I’ve been traveling and planning the trip hasn’t left much free time. I promise, there will be new projects soon!
For this vacation, I met up with friends who are living in Shanghai and we took a two week trip to Vietnam (Hoi An and Saigon/Ho Chi Mihn City) and Thailand (Koh Lanta and Phi-Phi Island). It was magical! It was my first time in Southeast Asia. I probably knew only 10% of all I saw, tasted and experienced before I went on this trip. I even got to spend 3 days in Shanghai which was fantastic as well.
- Scootering around the Thai and Vietnamese countrysides on motorbikes
- Snorkeling with sharks in Phi Phi
- Eating like kings for about $4/meal (favorites were Bahn Mi, dumplings, Korean BBQ, baracuda tar-tar, pho, multiple curries, Thai pancakes and fresh mango smoothies)
- A Thai cooking class where I learned that unlike American cuisine that keeps most flavors separate, Thai food seeks to feature all four flavors in one dish (sweet, salty, sour and savory)
- Surviving nine flights, one of which was on Air Asia
- Watching multiple sun sets over the Adaman Sea/Indian Ocean
- Touring the My Son ruins in Vietnam
- Crawling through the Cu Chi tunnels the Viet Cong used to hide in during the Vietnam War
- Dining in the dark - the entire meal is served in total blackness and you have to use your sense of smell and taste to identify your food. All servers are blind
- Ringing in the Chinese New Year on a rooftop bar
- Traditional Thai massages (painful!)
- Beating Escape rooms (twice!)
- Releasing lanterns on the beaches of Thailand and floating rives of Hoi An
- Sipping caipirinas on the beach
It was such a nice break from the freezing temperatures we’ve been having in Pittsburgh (went from 0 degrees to 95 degrees Farenheit!) and the responsibilities of life. Who doesn’t love vacation? Can’t wait to go back!